Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Kyoungmin Kim/narrative paragraph/mon34

Volunteering work in Vietnam 

 Last winter vacation, I had a chance to participate in a medical volunteering program to Vietnam. The volunteering group consisted some doctors and some students like me, to help the doctors treat the people there. We started to work from the second day we arrived at Vietnam. That day, we went to a village which was a rural and undeveloped area. As our bus went through the forest-like roads, the leaves and branches of the big tropical trees scratched the windows. When we arrived at our destination, many people were already there, waiting for our medical service. We carried stuffs out of the bus and started to set up the working place. Then we devided into four goups: reception, vital checking, ushering, and the parmacy. I was in the ushering team. We made the people sit and wait in line, and then took them to the doctor in turns. After the doctor has finished consulting the patient, we lead them to ultrasound checking area, or to the parmacy. We would say "Xin dun dai" which means "Follow me, please." When I ushered one old lady, she said something is Vietnamese. I couldn't understand what she was saying, but I felt glad as she held my hand and patted. Some of the patient were seriously ill. Some limped their steps, some couldn't even stand still by themselves. I felt sorry for all. After the service of the day was over, officials of the village shook hands firmly with every participants. I was happy by the feeling that I was helpful. The volunteering work made me an unforgettable memory and I realized once again how happy I am.

 

1 comment:

  1. Hello! This is YoungHoon Kim. It was impressive that you volunteered to help people in harsh environment. The flow was good that I could understand your story well. Also, I liked your specific details of your experiences. I saw some mistakes but it was a good writing!

    ReplyDelete