Wednesday, April 4, 2012

201103449 Chin HaKyung/My Favorite Piece of Art/ MON 11AM

My favorite piece of art : The Café Terrace at Night

Chin HaKyung

           There is a painting that has a special meaning to me: it is 'The Café Terrace at Night' which is executed by Vincent van Gogh. This painting was hung on a bathroom wall in the school I went. When I first saw it there, I fell into it instantly. This painting is rectangular and it is longer vertically. Just like the picture, a café terrace at night is drawn. The overall image is mainly expressed in yellow and blue. The part near the café is yellow and the sky is dark blue. So the painting makes us feel warm because of the warm colors of the cafe, but at the same time cold because the it is night and the sky is blue. The cafe is on the left side of the painting. The cafe is on a street with some buildings on the other side and some people are passing by. There are about ten or more white tables in the terrace and about ten people sitting on the chair. Six tables are on a wooden board and the rest are by the street. A man who seems to be the waiter is dressed in white and standing in the middle of the tables. There are two doors to the café, and there is a person who is painted in black only with the figure of a human is standing on the door close to the viewers. This person looks a little mysterious. There are round circles on the sky, which seems to be the star. There is a tree on the right side of the picture, but you can only see some branches. What I like about this painting is that the people are not painted in detail. Unlike portraits, they aren't looking at me nor bothered that I'm here. It makes me feel they are busy and cheerful on their own ways. I heard that this café exists and now it's called 'Café Van Gogh.' I plan to go there someday since this painting is my favorite.

2 comments:

  1. I also like paintings of Gogh. His art makes me sad somehow. You described details of the painting very concretely so I can imagine that work vividly. But, ‘This painting was hung on a bathroom wall in the school I went’, is not necessary. Focus on the painting. It is better. Thank you. It was a good paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite piece of art : The Café Terrace at Night

    Chin HaKyung

    There is a painting that has a special meaning to me: it is 'The Café Terrace at Night' which is executed by Vincent van Gogh. When I first saw this painting, I fell into it instantly. This painting is rectangular and it is longer vertically. Just like the title, a café terrace at night is drawn. The overall image is mainly expressed in yellow and blue. The part near the café is expressed in yellow and the sky is dark blue. So the painting makes us feel warm because of the warm colors of the cafe, but at the same time cold because the it is night and the sky is blue. The cafe is on the left side of the painting and it is on a street with some buildings on the other side and some people are passing by. There are about ten or more white tables in the terrace and about ten people sitting on the chair. A man who seems to be the waiter is dressed in white and is standing in the middle of the tables. There are round circles on the sky, which seems to be the star. There is a tree on the right side of the picture, but you can only see some branches. What I like about this painting is that the people are not painted in detail. Unlike portraits, they aren't looking at me nor bothered that I'm here. There are two doors to the café, and there is a person who is painted in black only in the figure of a human. This person looks a little mysterious. Other people who are sitted on the chairs and people passing by also have vague shapes. It makes me feel they are busy and cheerful in their own ways. I heard that this café exists and now it's called 'Café Van Gogh.' I plan to go there someday since this painting is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete