Thursday, April 5, 2012

Youna Lee/ My favorite piece of music/ Mon 11.a.m.

My favorite piece of music

     As I really enjoy listening to music in every moment ,there are about 900 songs in my I phone. Among those various kinds of music, my favorite genre is Jazz music. Jazz is a musical style that originated at the beginning of the 20th century in black communities in the Southern United States. And there are many offshoots in Jazz, such as acid jazz, soul jazz, and urban jazz. I used to listen pop jazz the most, such as 'Breezy', 'Details', by Wouter Hamel, and 'Cheek to cheek' by Jane Monheit. But in these days I also often listen to instrumental jazz tracks which do not include voice. For example what I like the most are 'Blue bossa', 'Exactly like you' by Eddie Higgins Trio. All of the music has no rules or forms, but especially jazz is very extempore. Refined and impromptu piano playing, atmospheric and witty bass sound, rhythmical and gentle drum beats are harmonized together and make wonderful musical picture. I feel like I'm flying in the blue sky or dancing in the nice party when I listen to jazz. I also feel extreme freedom and excitement. I even feel like smelling sweet things like dark chocolates and caramels. Some people might think that jazz is somewhat difficult, but I'm sure that if they start listening jazz with easy songs, they will absolutely got attracted by this amazing magic.

3 comments:

  1. First, it was intersting to read how much you like Jazz and you are so into this music. What I liked about your writing is you used various adjectives to describe certain music or your feelings. I think it really matched well with this week's assignment: writing descriptive paragraph. However, using words like extempore or impromptu is a bit strict and can be replaced with other words. Also commas are used wrong in some places, if you change these things I think it would be a better writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, my name is Kyeong-eun. As I like listening to music, too, I enjoyed your writing. You explained where Jazz originated and the kinds of genre in Jazz. And you extended the story and referred the exact songs you like and the reasons you like such songs; depicting the details of music. However, your writing contains too much information that I couldn't concentrate on what you intended. So I think it would be better if you deduct some of information. Yet I enjoyed your writing overally. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite piece of music

    As I really enjoy listening to music in every moment, there are about 900 songs in my I phone. Among those various kinds of music, my favorite genre is Jazz music. I used to listen pop jazz the most. Such as 'Breezy' and 'Details' by Wouter Hamel, and 'Cheek to cheek' by Jane Monheit. But in these days I also often listen to instrumental jazz tracks which do not include voice. For example what I like the most are 'Blue bossa', 'Exactly like you' by Eddie Higgins Trio. All of the music has no rules or forms, but especially jazz has its own attraction on improvisation. Refined and dynamic piano playing, atmospheric and witty bass sound, rhythmical and gentle drum beats are harmonized together and make wonderful musical picture. I feel like I'm flying in the blue sky or dancing in the nice party when I listen to jazz. I also feel extreme freedom and excitement. I even feel like smelling sweet things like dark chocolates and caramels. Some people might think that jazz is somewhat difficult. But I'm sure that if they start listening jazz with easy songs, they will absolutely got attracted by this amazing magic.

    ReplyDelete