Friday, April 6, 2012

Kyoungmin,Kim/ On favorite piece of art/ Mon34

       My mom used to buy me books about painters when I was a kid. I wasn't a very devoted reader, but thanks to my mom I got to enjoy books on paintings. One day I borrowed a book called <At Monet's garden>. The story book included Monet's paintings of his own garden in Giverny. In the book, there were especially lots of paintings of the pond in his garden. The most famous one is the one with the Japanese bridge. The bridge is painted white, and goes over the pond forming an smooth arch. The water of the pond is filled with floating water lilies and its' leaves. The blank surface of the water reflects the dense trees around the garden. The reflection is depicted with light green and yellow. Actually the painting seems to be drawn mostly by dots or short touches of the brush. So if you look at the painting closely, or look at it partially, it's hard to find out what part it is as the boundaries of the objects are not clear. That style of drawing might seem to depict things obscure, but I think Monet catches the moment of the scene concretely than any other painters. I feel like standing in the garden as I see the painting. I can imagine the golden sunlight of the day in the garden. I can know that he's describing the exact moment. How it looked like just then. I feel glad that a person could express what he really feels and sees by painting. I admire Monet as he boldly drew what he saw, not what others consider it should be seen. His way of painting gave me inspiration in living also. To live to be honest to himself and to his contentment, not to satify other's view.

2 comments:

  1. Through you writing, I could definitely picture myself the Monet's painting. What I really liked is that your description is so clear and accurate. The readers can know right away what you saw and felt from seeing that piece of art. I think your writing can be improved by adding some more reasons why you especially like that piece of Monet's painting. Since the title is your favorite piece of art, you should include more details about the painting not the painter itself. Well, that's just my opinion and it was glad to see your nice writing thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm Kyeong-eun. You wrote about a piece of art painted by Monet and it really attracted me, as you depicted the painting with detail so that I could visualize. And you valued the way of Monet's painting -- catching the moment he liked and expressing with lots of dots, and I enjoyed this part. The way you encountered the painting was also explained well; it was acceptable. But it seems that "he described the exact moment" was written repeatedly, so I think it would be better if you delete some of them. But overally I enjoyed your writing. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete